The following SI workshops are available online for individual study at a time to suit you.
- Active indexing: creating indexes for eBooks (Tutor Jan Worrall). This workshop provides a comprehensive overview of the eBook, embedded indexing processes, XML and how the indexing process fits into publisher workflows. It is delivered in Powerpoint format and includes exercises to enhance understanding.
- Embedded indexing in MS Word (Tutors: various) Now compulsory for Student Members enrolled on the SI training course, this workshop will be invaluable for indexers needing to update their skills to cope with new demands from clients. It is delivered in Powerpoint format and includes practical exercises and video demonstrations of processes.
- How to edit an index: creating order out of chaos (Tutor: Ann Hudson) Indexers at all stages of their careers will benefit from enrolling on this workshop. It is delivered in Powerpoint format and includes practical exercises and tutor support.
- Indexing Basics (Tutor: Jan Worrall) This workshop is aimed at those considering an indexing career or embarking on the first module of the training course. It is delivered in Powerpoint format and includes practical exercises and tutor support.
- Indexing for Editors (Tutor: Ann Hudson). This workshop aims to give you an overview of the principles of indexing, how indexes are compiled, and the role of the editor. A single user and company licence is available
- Indexing the past (Tutor: Ann Hudson) The past is everything that happened before today, and provides many opportunities for indexers. This workshop aims to demystify indexing the past and is suitable for indexers at all stages of their careers. It is delivered in Powerpoint format and includes practical exercises and tutor support.
- Writing index entries: finding the words (Tutor: Ann Hudson) This workshop will help both new and more experienced indexers in the task that is at the heart of the indexing process – choosing headings that are as clear and useful as possible to the index users. It is delivered in Powerpoint format and includes practical exercises and tutor support.
For prices go to our online shop. Members of affiliated societies can use their discount coupon code once the workshop is in your shopping cart. Non-members who subsequently join the Society after taking the Indexing basics workshop will receive a £30 discount off the cost of SI membership.
Online workshops can be booked at any time via the online SI-Shop.
Classroom-based workshops are run occasionally, usually in conjunction with the annual conference. Bookings for scheduled workshops must be made at least 6 weeks before the date of the workshop via the link in the calendar of events. Please note that a minimum number of students is required in order to run a workshop. Do not make any travel arrangements before you receive confirmation that the workshop will go ahead, usually 4 weeks prior to the date of the workshop. Please contact the SI office for further information.