There are five categories of membership, related to the Society’s qualifications:
- Student Member (for those taking the training course)
- Professional Member (MSocInd)
- Advanced Professional Member (MSocInd (Adv))
- Fellow (FSocInd)
- Member (indexers without recognised professional qualifications, or for those with a general interest in indexing)
Accreditation and Professional Membership
Members who successfully complete the course are entitled to the status of Accredited Indexer (AI), provided they remain members of the Society, and are awarded the grade of Professional Member (MSocInd). Highly experienced indexers may also qualify as Accredited Indexers through an abbreviated testing procedure based on the SI course. Details available here.
Advanced Professional Members (MSocInd(Adv)) have demonstrated a certain level of post-qualification experience over at least two years, while Fellows (FSocInd) have undergone a rigorous assessment procedure. (Fellowship procedure is currently under review.)
All Professional Members are eligible for inclusion in the online Directory of Professional Indexers, provided they:
- have been involved in the production of an index within the last two years or have qualified within the last two years;
- and are fully paid-up members of the Society.